Masked Identity

Masked Identity 

The objective behind this project was to create a mask that covered the face of the student, allowing them to create a new identity.


Materials

Wire

Tracing paper

Gel Medium

Ink


Statement

The idea I had behind my mask was one of hidden beauty. Most people when buying flowers chose roses to give  to their loved ones, the roses are a symbol of beauty. My mask resembles a Venus fly trap, which is not typically given to loved ones or seen as a symbol for beauty. I was interested in the hidden beauty inside of the fly trap, and how you only can see it if you look hard enough.

The symbol I chose was rose pedals. This represents an idea of deconstructed beauty, because the rose is not whole.








Head piece
18 in. x 7 1/2 in. x 8 1/2 in. 


Shoulder piece 
14 in. x 20 in. x 8 in. 









Inspiration


Venus fly trap

Serkan Cura

Yuni Kim Lang



Comments